Tuesday, 3 March 2009

The Pastor's Son

I am a twenty-something year old with a BA in English therefore, none of what I have to say is supported by any relevant conferred degrees, ordinations or superfluous factoids. This is a wholly subjective endeavor erected on personal experiences, biases, and judgments. Let there be no misunderstanding; this is a work of perspective and is intended to open opportunities for discussion, amusement, and relate problems and queries of any who care to share, but it will undoubtedly arouse anger and indignation in some in varying degrees. It will be perceived as insulting, demeaning, confrontational and offensive. Fortunately, this is not written for your approval; it is written for my, and perhaps others', release. I won’t enjoy writing it as much as some other projects I'm engaging in, for it is assumes a masked vulnerability, accompanied by a pretense of a knowledge that is essentially unverifiable, and as such it is a slippery slope to tread. It will be full of the author, whom you can claim is full of himself if you wish, if that will help you in dismissing this as something that you can ignore, but I believe that in being so, it will contain at least some elements of truth (at least, insofar as experiences can be true). You now have your excuse, right here within the context of this work, to ignore this in its entirety; but feel free to continue in the perceived abomination if you choose, at least you will be confronted with some fodder for thought, maybe. Hopefully. Either way, you are free to choose.

Already you can say to yourself, "Who is this guy? Why would I read what some anonymous individual posts into cyberspace without credibility, without identity, without a reason to believe that anything he writes is true?"

To answer you, I would only say that you're here, reading, and that something must have brought you thus far. I can only write that my intent is to be as real as I can be in my anonymity, and that while I hope some discussion may arise across the divide it creates, that the divide exists for my own insecurities and protection in a medium that is known to have its pitfalls, its predators, and its traps. So if I should write that I am this or that, and you form an image of what you perceive me to be, should prudence disclose realities in images, and sight in shadows, and I am actually something other than that thing, that phantom formed in your fantasy, we may yet safely pass someday in blissful ignorance, there may yet be some awe and some surprise left to the man extending these words, be they a helping hand or clenched fist to you, until a day dawns when all is revealed and the secret is no more than a denial away from truth.

I enjoy writing. I enjoy the places that writing takes me. I'm looking here for a new place, somewhere deep, dark and cool inside to weather storms, retreat in solace, and hold fast against any enemies of belief. It's a new place for me. Should you stop by to visit, I'll try my best to make you feel at home... but home is not my forte; still, you are as welcome here as you can be.

- TPS

No comments:

Post a Comment