Monday, 16 March 2009

Blogging the Bible: Genesis

This is something I started a while ago, with a professing atheistic friend of mine, but like most attempts at reading The Bible, I came up short. I'm hoping that I can get some ideas out for all 66 books of the Bible within the year (requiring having read them all) because it's the greatest travesty of my life that I have yet to read every word God has made available to me. If I post a book I've read it. It won't be linear, but that's how I started, and probably why I've always failed. I'm reading a NKJV. So, without further ado:

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

The book of Genesis tells the story of God from creation through to the Israelites’ relocation to Egypt through the life of Joseph. What stood out to me was the Nature of God in contrast to the Nature of Man. God is depicted throughout Genesis as the source of life, love, wealth, and health, whereas humanity is mostly then, as now, the recipients and consumers of the goodness of God.
My favorite stories and illustrations are the Garden of Eden, depicting the beginning of humanity’s relationship with God and each other, and the stories surrounding the lineage of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph, from the covenant and subsequent sacrifice of Abraham regarding Isaac, to Jacob’s wrestling with God to obtain favor, to Joseph’s God-given favor to surmount innumerable obstacles in a foreign land through dream interpretation and his steadfastness in accordance with God’s will.
The story of Eden introduces the nature of Love through choice. It also reveals the Nature of God in the relationship that existed between God and creation. It clearly depicts the consequences of sin in that relationship and goes on from there to encapsulate the consequences of sin in human relationships. The downward spiral that culminates in the great flood is the unhindered nature of man at work.
The beauty of the covenant God made with Abraham (formerly Abram) is that God took the whole responsibility for its keeping. Thus began God’s romancing of humanity. It’s a love comprised of choice and consequence, wherein we, as God’s creation, often falter, and occasionally rise up to the occasion to wrestle with the almighty and sway the heart of God.
There are some beautiful illustrations of a father's heart. One of my favorites is in the choosing of Rebekah as Isaac's wife. There are some great levels to this simple story where a servant carries out a natural father's dying wish with the help of the heavenly Father.
Other stories of note are the stories of sibling rivalry, from the first fratricide, to the trickery of Jacob, to the jealousy toward Joseph, all dealing with the complex relationships between brothers. If you have a brother, you might understand what I'm talking about. I'm not entirely sure how well they translate to sisters.
As a final note, I found the numerous name changes interesting, if not foreshadowing. They remind me of a beautiful verse in Revelations, but I’ll venture to tie that up in a few years or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment