Saturday, 9 May 2009

An Old Thought...

So I went to church today and a guest speaker was there, from the IHOP in Kansas (not the pancake place) talking about Jesus. Jesus the man, Jesus the boy, Jesus the child. It's not something one thinks about too often I imagine, God as a child, or a perfect child, or as diminutive as one would care to continue to get, but if one does perchance believe in the divinity of Christ, it's an interesting exercise of faith to envision Christ learning to speak, taking his first step, nursing, learning, being taught by his own creation about his creation. Practicing carpentry and missing a nail, because a sinless life can still include a black and blue thumb or a few scrapes and bruises and sleepless nights. Extending that image of perfection to today I could see Jesus shunned by other children because he had values and standards, being rejected at times by his own family, his brothers and sisters jealous and resentful. The thoughts led to a revelation that there is indeed a path of perfection in every realm of life. It doesn't include hitting every free-throw, I could see Jesus the boy being picked last for the team because he couldn't shoot, it isn't something he had done, and some skills have to be learned through practice before they are developed into percentage points, but all the same, in missing the shot I could see Jesus enjoying the fellowship with friends, or suffering the hurt of being deemed a disappointment to others while struggling to keep things in perspective. That's what it all comes down to: perspective.
How do I see the circumstances of yesterday, today, and tomorrow? I see some as extremely pressing and critical for the course of my life, but those should be resolved by the course of eternity, which I myself have little control over, with the exception of the choices I make day to day, like whether to lie, cheat, or steal, or be honest, upfront, and sacrificial. More often than not it's in line with the former three I'm sure. It's so much easier to have myself the center of my world. Easier in the sense that I have only myself to be accountable to, but such is not the case.
I choose to hold myself accountable to a man who lived, died, and rose again in perfection, because no other standard suffices.
I guess that's it for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment