http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucac/liberaltalibanissuesfatwaagainstmisscalifornia
Dear Ann,
I think Miss California's stand for her views, that some think cost her a crown, but I firmly believe procured her a much greater one, is laudable, and the subsequent tumult in the media is despicable, and your standing up to fight on her behalf, wielding your political rhetoric with such poise and promise, is a wonderful thing, but it's a little akin to a skilled mercenary joining a civil war to acquire the potential wealth of the victors, rather than support their cause.
Miss Carrie Prejean may very well be Christian, and may very well be Republican, but the continued linking of the two remains a blight, not a shining light, on the former (Christianity) as the latter (Republicans) are pretty far off the mark when in comes to representing a full spectrum of Biblical values. I feel it's been said before, but must be reiterated again and again because of the adamant voices of some who keep wanting to unite these ideologies for personal gain: Libralism is not the opposite of Christianity. After all, Jesus came to liberate all humanity. We are liberated because of God's grace. We are commissioned to liberally share that liberating grace with the world. If anything, the word liberal bears a far more stiking similarity to the Good News; one of the things we should be liberated from is the mistaken belief that we can do anything outside of that grace to improve our standing, corporately or individually, with God. So I'm sorry to say that whatever political affiliation you register with doesn't matter much.
Taking the message of grace and covering it with such vitriol is like taking the wedding feast of the lamb and smothering it with a steaming pile of... kimchee (first illustration that came to mind); some will devour it, love it even, but it's certainly not a meal for every tribe and tongue as the preparer of the feast intends it to be.
I think you're a valuable voice to publicly balance the opposition to so much that I too oppose, and as I appreciate Miss Prejean's example, I laud your own efforts insofar as they extend towards a similar end, but I think you touched upon the power and the true beauty of the subject matter at hand in citing the grace and humility with which such a message is shared. As beautiful as an individual may be, the message is greater by far, and it is the message, not her own, that won Miss Prejean her crown.
- TPS
Thursday, 14 May 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment