Thursday, 16 April 2009

Blogging the Bible: Exodus

I'm sure I'll be editing and amending these entries as the go, and by all means, feel free to share and expound on my meager attempts... especially with the Pentateuch...

Exodus


Exodus tells the story of the Israelites first liberation after their gradual enslavement at the hands of the Egyptians after Joseph’s sojourn. God’s tool of freedom is Moses, a Jewish-born, Egyptian-raised, murdering castaway shepherd with a speech impediment of sorts. He and Aaron confront the Pharaoh with signs and wonders culminating in the ten plagues of Egypt. This book introduces the Passover covenant and the subsequent salvation of the Israelites forty year trek through the wilderness and all of the provisions of God they receive, from Manna to water to guidance, both day and night, and of course, the laws given Moses atop Mt. Sinai. Exodus concludes with the building of the Ark of the Covenant and the erecting of the Tabernacle. The specificity of the requisite workmanship is a characteristic example of the Holy nature of God.

I like the manifestations of God in Exodus, from the burning bush to the pillars of cloud and fire. I like the God's choice of heroes too: feuding brothers, one with a speech impediment and the other eventually succumbing to peer pressure at the foot of Mt. Sinai; such an unlikely pairing leading the Exodus of thousands from captivity almost convinces me that I too am not beyond the use of God. Almost. Luckily there's a lot left to persuade me the rest of the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment